Acne scarring is the result of picking and popping acne zits, and affects millions of people worldwide. Acne scarring can leave as unpleasant an appearance as acne itself, so it is definitely something to be avoided. Of course the best way to treat acne scarring is to prevent it in the first place; in other words, keep those pesky hands off your face!
However, even if you already suffer from acne scarring, there is still hope. There are a number of acne scar creams that promise to help clear up the appearance of acne scars. This guide will help you find the products that will deliver the best results for you.
Before we begin, it’s important to note that there are two different types of acne scarring. Scars caused by cystic acne cause permanent damage to the skins structure. People with cysts have a high likelihood of developing permanent scars and marks that will stay for their lifetime. Fortunately, some acne scar products do help the healing process of cystic acne scars.
On the other side, there are what is called “pseudo-scars”. Anyone from mild to moderate acne can develop these pseudo-scars. These are not really scars, but rather reddish blemishes in the skin that are left behind after a pimple has gone away. These are not usually permanent and are easier to deal with than cystic acne scars.
You should look for the following qualities in a good acne scar medication cream:
- The cream should exfoliate and remove dead skin cells that cause redness.
- In addition, the cream should flatten, smooth and soften the skin to reduce the appearance of acne scars.
- A good medication will contain anti-oxidants and vitamins that help soothe irritated skin. These vitamins enrich the skin with nutrition, making it less susceptible to further scarring.
- It should fortify the skin’s compounds, such as elastin and collagen, in order to aid in the production of fibroblasts. This makes the skin healthier, helping to fill out scarred areas.
- Should contain a trace amount of bleach called hydroquinone. This special chemical helps even out the skin tone, making the appearance of red and damaged skin pigments less noticeable.
- It should easily absorb into the skin, so that its properties and medication can work the skin inside and out.
- Some kind of anti-bacterial properties could be helpful, especially if you are not already using another anti-bacterial product like benzoyl peroxide. Bacteria can wreak havoc inside the skin, even without causing new breakouts.
- Finally, the cream should break down skin cells, in order to produce amino acids which can be used to reconstruct the skin..
Many acne scar creams just camouflage the appearance of acne scars, instead of giving the skin the nutrients it needs to combat acne scarring. Beware of products that only mask the appearance of acne scars, instead of healing them. By judging products using the classifications above, you will be able to find an acne scar cream that truly aids the skin’s reproduction and healing process.