Stinky feet, medically known as bromodosis, is a problem that is suffered by millions of people on a regular basis. Pretty much anyone can suffer from smelly feet however pregnant women and teenagers do seem to be more at risk of the condition than others. Luckily there are a number of stinky feet remedies that can help. Read on and learn how to get rid of smelly feet and avoid social marginalization.
Stinky Feet Causes
As said above pregnant women and teenagers do seem to be the main demographics that suffer from sweaty feet however certain medications can also exasperate the condition. As the feet have more sweat glands than anywhere else on the body it goes without saying that when there is a problem, they smell bad. This usually happens when the sweat is unable to evaporate (or when it is absorbed by socks and shoes) and hence provides the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. It is this bacterium which causes foot odor. Other stinky feet causes include poor hygiene and stress. A condition called hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) can also cause stinky feet.
Stinky Feet Treatment
If you speak to your doctor about stinky feet treatment it is likely that he will advise you to wash your feet in an antibacterial gel daily and make sure you dry your feet properly. Doctors may also suggest:
• Drinking plenty of water.
• Only wearing socks made from un-synthetic, natural materials such as cotton.
• Use medicated insoles inside your shoes – these act as a deodorant.
• Remove any hard and dry skin on your feet with a foot file – when dry skin gets damp this can cause stinky feet.
• Placing foot powder (or talcum powder) in your shoes and spraying your feet regularly with an antiperspirant.
• Alternating shoes on a daily basis.
• Wearing sandals or flip-flops whenever possible.
• Avoiding alcohol and sugar to see if you notice an improvement.
• Using acne soap on your feet
• Taking daily zinc supplements
Stinky Feet Home Remedies
There are also a number of stinky feet home remedies that can be tried. How successful these are will depend on you as an individual and the extent of your smelly feet problem.
• Bathe your feet in baking soda and vinegar – this is said to not only cure foot odor but also soothes the feet.
• Rub your feet with either radish or turnip juice – these are both natural deodorants.
• Try eating cilantro or parsley with your meals – both absorb body odor.
• Soak your feet in strong black tea once a week – this closes your pores and kills bacteria.
Stinky Feet Prevention
Once you solve your smelly fit problem you need to maintain your hygiene standards high and follow the same tips that helped you get rid of the issue. Because feet sweat constantly you risk to get stinky feet again if you quit the above mention remedies. Introduce them in your lifestyle and you will maintain your feet odor free.